At the end of this unit students
will be able to
1. describe Linneaus’ role in developing the modern system of
2. summarize the scientific system for naming a species.
3. list the seven levels of biological classification.
4. list the characteristics that biologists use to classify organisms.
5. summarize the biological species concept.
6. relate analogous structures to convergent evolution and homologous
structures to divergent evolution.
7. describe how biologists use cladograms to determine evolutionary
8. identify the characteristics used to classify the 6 kingdoms of living
9. differentiate Eubacteria from Archaebacteria.
10. distinguish among unicellular, colonial, and multicellular life