At the end of this unit students
will be able to
1. Differentiate among atoms, elements, molecules, and compounds.
2. Distinguish among covalent, ionic, and hydrogen bonds.
3. Describe the properties of water.
4. Distinguish between acids and bases
5. Compare the structures and function of the four basic types of biomolecules.
(carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids).
6. State the main role of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) in cells.
7. Evaluate the importance of energy to living organisms.
8. Relate energy and chemical reactions.
9. Describe the role of enzymes in chemical reactions.
10. Describe factors that affect the action of enzymes.