At the end of this unit students
will be able to
1. Describe the contributions of Gregor Mendel to the study of heredity
2. List the characteristics of the garden pea that make it a good subject
for genetic study.
3. Define and use correctly the terms homozygous, heterozygous, genotype,
phenotype, dominant, recessive, incomplete dominance.
4. Explain the Law of Segregation and the Law of Independent Assortment.
5. Predict the results of monohybrid and dihybrid crosses using Punnet
squares and probabilities.
6. Analyze a simple pedigree.
7. Differentiate between autosomal and sex-linked traits.
8. Identify five factors that influence patterns of heredity.
9. Describe the role of mutation in genetic disorders.
10. List two genetic disorders and describe their causes and symptoms.