At the end of this
unit students will be able to
1. determine the number of valence elenctrons in an atomo of a
2. explain how the octet rule applies to atoms of metallic and
3. describe how cations and anions form.
4. explain the electrical charge of an ionic compound.
5. describe properties of ionic compounds
7. distinguish between melting points and boiling points of molecular
and ionic compounds.
7. describe how electrons are shared to form covalent bonds and
identify exceptions to the octet rule.
8. demonstrate how electron dot structrues represent shared electrons.
9. describe how atoms form double or triple covalent bonds.